To be in college is to embrace exceptional education and holistic training, and at the same time, savor an ambiance of fresh and green environs that even spurs learning and makes it even more fun and relaxing.
De La Salle University-Dasmariñas is the best venue for your professional preparation.
DLSU-D offers an unconventional take on education and allows students to learn in an environment surrounded by nature and inculcates in them not only the Lasallian values of faith, zeal and service but also allows them to experience and participate in socially responsible projects throughout their stay in the university.
A HEART FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
Aside from learning within the four corners of the classroom, students experience and practice genuine social consciousness with the University’s Project Carbon Neutral Campaign which seeks to minimize the impact of climate change in the planet and bars the use of single use plastics and straws in the University to minimize the production of non-biodegradable waste.
Project ICON (ICT Contributes to Nature) is also among the projects which teaches the student body to properly dispose of electronic wastes which could be harmful to health and safety by donating it to the cause. Proceeds from the sale of the donations to accredited scrappers are used to purchase seeds and more trees under the One Million Trees and Beyond Project of De La Salle Philippines.
A GENUINE COMPASSION FOR OTHERS
Genuine compassion is hard to teach but students of DLSU-D are exposed to volunteerism through the NSTP Program where they learn the realities in the real world through the University’s partner communities made viable through the Lasallian Community Development Center (LCDC).
The University also enables dreams of deserving youths through scholarship grants under the One La Salle Fund, a variety of financial aid grants and academic scholarship programs, the DLSU-D Night College Scholarship and the Balik Aral Program, a special curriculum to prepare out of school youth for acceleration under the DepEd ALS program.
A COMMITMENT TO WORLD CLASS EDUCATION, DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMS
A lot can be said to describe a Lasallian education but one certainly fits the bill – world class. A Lasallian education has produced some of the most prominent names in the province’s political scene while its graduates are currently scattered in various industries, making names for themselves for their competency, work ethics and efficiency, all borne from a curriculum that adheres to standards set by the country’s education sector, developed with a mind for the practical needs of the students before they enter the workforce.
In terms of educating to foreign students who wish to pursue their degrees in the country, the University’s Language Learning Center has been lauded countless times by various international organizations for its versatility in offering a variety of standard languages in Asia and the Pacific. As its operation is anchored on the notions of globalization and cultural pluralism, curricular programs have been designed to respond to the language and communication needs of the academe and the industry.
De La Salle University - Dasmariñas is a University that prides itself in preparing students to face the reality of the workforce after four years of college education. It is also an institution that takes into consideration the demands of the industry which all alumni can explore once they obtain their respective degrees.
Vision and Mission
De La Salle University-Dasmariñas is a Filipino Catholic University established and managed by the De La Salle Brothers and their lay partners in the historic province of Cavite in response to the needs of the Church and the Nation for human and Christian education, particularly the youth at risk.
Guided by the Lasallian values of Faith, Zeal and Communion, the University participates meaningfully in the process of social transformation by forming God-centered, people-oriented, and patriotic persons who serve as responsible and professionally competent stewards of God's creation.
To realize this vision, the University shall strive to become a leading institution nationally and globally in the integral formation of the youth by offering relevant, responsive, and community-oriented academic programs, research and extension services, and promoting a keen sense of history, arts and culture.
Following the footsteps of Saint John Baptist de La Salle, the University shall continue transforming itself into a caring community guided by Gospel values, with a fervent spirit of service, love for learning and excellence through a holistic formation of its members.
A Walk Through History
General Emilio Aguinaldo College branches out in Cavite, July 18, 1977. GEAC was established in Dasmariñas, Cavite and offered the following courses in its first semester: Education and Elementary Education, Secretarial Administration, Nursing, Foods and Nutrition, Midwifery, Radiologic Technology and Business Administration. 57 students were the first enrollees
Additional courses offered, June 18, 1977-May 30, 1979. BS Criminology, MA in Teaching, MA in Education and MS Nursing courses were offered, as well as technical courses for Agricultural Technology, Electrical and Electronics Technology, Mechanical and Automotive Technology.
College of Medicine opens, 1979. EAC opened the College of Medicine (which later became DLSU-D University Medical Center) with Dr. Ludy Campos, wife of Dr. Paolo Campos as dean. 150 students enrolled.
Medicine students increase, November 31, 1986. The good reputation established by EAC-Cavite from its performance in the board exams boosted enrollment to 1,767. The most popular courses were Physical Therapy, Radiologic Technology and Nursing.
De La Salle University buys EAC-Cavite, May 29, 1987. After University President Br. Andrew Gonzales looked into establishing a medical school in Cavite specializing in Science courses, the deed of sale was signed between DLSU and EAC.
EAC-Cavite becomes EAC-DLSU, and later DLSU-EAC, June, 1987. EAC-DLSU began to accept enrollees under the school's new name.
First mid-year Administrators' Meeting, September 18-19, 1987. School administrators laid the groundwork for the future of the school. Subsequent meetings were held for short term planning (1988-1990), medium term (1990-1995) and long term (1995-2000).
Official school publication, 1987. The Newsette became the University's official publication started by editorial staff from the College of Education and later taken over by the Institutional Publications Office (which evolved into the Marketing Communications Office).
First gymnasium, June 1988. DLSU-EAC began building its first gymnasium -- the Palaruan La Salle in an effort to attract more students and become the center for sports events in Cavite.
Formation of faculty and staff associations, 1988. The faculty and non teaching staff of DLSU-EAC formed their own associations to represent their interests in negotiating with the management. The Faculty Fellowship Club (now Faculty Association) and the Kapatiran ng Bagong Lakas ng Isipan, Kaunlaran at Tatag (KABALIKAT).
Faculty members receive benefits, 1988-1989. The FFC negotiated adjustments to faculty ranking and benefits. The Faculty Development Budget was established for scholarships and trainings while faculty members enjoyed 10 percent across the board salary increase.
Trainings and Seminars, 1988-1992. The Teaching Improvement Program Series (TIPS) was created to improve and update faculty members' teaching methods and strategies.
DLSU-EAC strengthens research thrusts, July 25, 1989. The Institutional Research Council was formed to provide the proper direction for research endeavors of faculty and students.
DLSU-EAC holds first protest, September 29, 1989. To keep the National Housing Authority (NHA) to its promise to pave the road leading to the school as well as the rest of the resettlement area, 40 faculty and staff members, as well as 320 trade unionists, 40 citizens and 610 students held a three-hour long protest in front of the NHA office.
Institutionalization of community service, 1989-1990. The Lasallian Community Development Center was institutionalized by the University to spearhead outreach and development initiatives of the University.
DLSU-EAC forms CISAA, February 2, 1991. To bank on Palaruang La Salle, one of the first facilities in the University, being an outstanding sports facility, DLSU-EAC founded the Cavite Secondary Schools Athletic Association (CISAA) and help increase concern about athletics and the youth. DLSU-EAC also became a member of the Cavite chapter of Private Schools Athletic Association (PRISAA).
PRISAA holds first meet, August 17, 1991. DLSU-EAC hosts the first PRISAA meet at the Palaruang La Salle.
DLSU Medical Center forms union, March 1, 1991. Personnel of the DLSU Medical Center/ EACM formed their labor union.
Kabalikat establishes Cooperative, August 15, 1991. Members of KABALIKAT voted against becoming a labor union and opted to start a cooperative instead, with just a P2,488.50 capital. By the following year, it grew to have a total asset of P500,000 and became a duly registered non-stock corporation with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
DLSU-EAC becomes DLSU-Aguinaldo, 1992. To address the confusion between students of DLSU-EAC and Emilio Aguinaldo College students, a name change was effected.
Balik Aral Program, 1993. The Alternative Learning System program was opened by DLSU-EAC to out of school youth. 64 students initially enrolled under the tutelage of 5 lay volunteer teachers. Classes were held at the nearby J.P. Rizal Hospital.
College of Physical Therapy transferred, 1994. The College of Physical Therapy was moved to the College of Medicine.
DLS-UMC becomes DLS-HSI , 1995. The College of Medicine, University Medical Center, College of Physical Therapy and Research Services was named De La Salle University – Health Sciences Campus or DLSU-HSI.
DLSU-Aguinaldo becomes DLSU-Dasmariñas, January 27, 1997. The University adopts the new name, approved by the SEC, which is representative of it being part of DLSU System and its geographic location as the premiere University of Calabarzon.
DLSU-D creates ERMAC, 2001. The Environmental Resources Management Center (ERMAC) is created to initiate, implement, supervise and evaluate the university’s programs and policies and its compliance to national government standards in relation to environmental management and safety, pollution control and disaster risk reduction.
DLSU-D granted Autonomous status, October 27, 2003. DLSU-D is conferred Autonomous Status by the Commission on Higher Education (CHeD) which allows the University such as exemption from the issuance of Special Order, freedom from monitoring and evaluation activities of CHEd, entitlement to grant of subsidies and other financial incentives/assistance from the CHED whenever funds are available, privilege to determine and prescribe curricular programs to achieve global competence, and authority to grant Honoris Causa to deserving individuals.
Autonomous Status, since October 27, 2003
De La Salle University-Dasmariñas conferred Autonomous Status by the Commission on Higher Education (CHeD) which allows the University such as exemption from the issuance of Special Order, freedom from monitoring and evaluation activities of CHEd, entitlement to grant of subsidies and other financial incentives/assistance from the CHED whenever funds are available, privilege to determine and prescribe curricular programs to achieve global competence, and authority to grant Honoris Causa to those deserving (per pertinent provisions of existing CHEd issuance on conferment of honorary degrees).
Level IV Accreditation, March 7, 2009
De La Salle University-Dasmariñas was granted Level IV accreditation status by the Federation of Accrediting Associations of the Philippines (FAAP) as recommended by the recommendation of Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU). The distinction is the highest accreditation status granted to only Universities who have complied and exceeded the standards set by the PAASCU.
Academic Center of Excellence in Biodiversity Conservation, 2005
The University was conferred the Academic Center of Excellence in Biodiversity Conservation in Southern Tagalog Faunal Region by the Haribon Foundation.
Dark Green Status, 2009
DLSU-D was granted Dark Green School status by the Philippine Network of Educators for the Environment, the first school to receive the honor. The accreditation was given to the DLSU-D for integrating "green" practices in the University's mission, curriculum, research, guidelines and practices.
Best in Student Services Program for Region IV-A, 2009
DLSU-D was recognized by the Commission on HIgher Education with the Best in Student Services Program award for its programs that enhance and support students' academic development and success.
Gawad Aguinaldo sa Kapaligiran, Model School in Waste Management, 2009
DLSU-D received in 2009 the Gawad Aguinaldo sa Kapaligiran from the Municipal Government of Bacoor for being a model school in Solid Waste Management.
Center of Excellence in Teacher Education, 2010
The College of Education was recognized by the Commission on Higher Education as a Center of Excellence in Teacher Education as its programs continue to demonstrate "excellent performance in the areas of instruction, research and publication, extension and linkages, and exhibit an excellent ability to produce quality pre-service teacher education" (CHEd Memorandum Order No. 26 Series 2007).
Most Sustainable and Eco-friendly School (Tertiary Level), 2011
DLSU-D prevailed over 15 regional finalists to take the top prize in the PLDT-SMART National Search for Most Sustainable and Eco-friendly School in the Philippines, a competition co sponsored by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
National Best Public Employment Service Office, 2010-2011
The Alumni Relations and Placement Office won as the National Best Public Employment Service Office in the 10th and 11th National PESO Congress for its wide ranging services for the University's alumni. The team also won “Best Academe-Based PESO” in 2009, was honored as “Best Regional PESO” in 2010 and 2011.
Model Language Center of the Philippines, 2012
The DLSU-D Language Learning Center was commended by the Education Testing Service in Princeton, New Jersey as a Model Language Center of the Philippines for the University's comprehensive programs in English language development for its students.
Most Outstanding Waste Management Program. 2012
DLSU-D's sustainable efforts were recognized by no less than the European Union’s Green Philippines Islands of Sustainability (GPIOS) Program and the University was granted a grant to help provide training and capability building programs to become more sustainable.
Most Outstanding School in the Field of Beach Volleyball, 2012
DLSU-D was hailed as the Most Outstanding School in the Field of Beach Volleyball by the Federation of School Sports Association of the Philippines (FESSAP) for the University athletes exemplary performances in local and international competitions.
Center of Development in Information Technology in Region IV-A
DLSU-D was named a Center of Development for Excellence in IT Education by the Commission on Higher Education, a proof that programs and projects of the Center are working hand in hand with the educational thrusts of the university and that its innovations are ahead compared to other institutions in the Calabarzon region.
Top Philippine school in GreenMetric Global University Ranking, 2013
DLSU-D sustainabilty drive was recognized internationally when it ranked 78th out of 301 Universities evaluated by Universitas Indonesia.
About St. La Salle
St. La Salle was born on April 30, 1651 to Nicole Moet and Louise de la Salle, a city magistrate. He was the eldest child of 5 brothers and 2 sisters. His grandmother influenced him greatly (read him the lives of the Saints).
He started his seminary years in 1670. As a seminarian he taught catechism and became deeply concerned about the situation of most families that could not afford to spend for their children's education (secular or religious). In 1672, the parents of De La Salle died, so he returned to Rheims from Paris to take care of his brothers and sisters.
After much reflection and spiritual direction, he pursued his desire to be a priest; he was ordained on April 9, 1678. De La Salle continued to be concerned about the lack of schools especially Christian -oriented schools, for the working class and the poor. A very close friend of his, Fr. Roland, was begging a congregation of Sisters to teach girls of the working class. He asked De La Salle to help him. Gradually, De La Salle was involved in helping Father Roland found the Sisters of the Child Jesus. Together with Adrien Nyel, they began to train a few men who could help begin free schools for boys.
Although he was from a wealthy and Aristocratic family, De La Salle chose to live with his school masters who were at first ill-mannered. Their zeal and perseverance to render their noble apostolic work led to the founding of the Brothers of Christian Schools (Fratres Scholarum Christianarum) - June 24, 1680. When De La Salle had distributed his material possessions and had given up his canonry-a special and honored position in the church, he exemplified to the Brothers the true meaning of being poor and identified himself with the poor. As the Institute grew, problems emerged. Brothers were either sick/dying or were leaving due to disillusionment. Also, some parish priests wanted to control the Brothers.
The Writing Masters (a group of teachers who managed schools for free) even accused De La Salle of allowing some children who had enough financial resources to stay in his free schools. One may expect that the existing anxieties may prompt the founder to quit or give up the schools; however De La Salle together with two other Brothers (Nicholas Vuyart & Gabriel Drollin) made the Heroic Vow on November 21, 1691. Before God, they made a solemn vow of association and union to bring about and maintain the Society of the Christian Schools, without withdrawing from this obligation, even if only the three of them remained and were obliged to beg for alms and live on bread and water alone. In God's time and grace, many young men from all economic strata joined De La Salle Brothers for the work of Christian education. At the time of De La Salle it was customary to have individual instruction of children (usually only the wealthy ones).
De La Salle was one of the first educators in history to put students into larger organized groups and have them taught simultaneously by one teacher. Today this simultaneous method of teaching is widely used. In De La Salle's time, schools existed mostly for the wealthy and the medium of instruction was Latin. He thought that if schools were to exist for the working class (who did not know Latin), the language of instruction should be French, the common language. Since there were very few teachers in his day, De La Salle placed great emphasis on founding Teacher Training Schools. Today, the Brothers place great emphasis on schools or departments for the training of teachers. De La Salle was also one of the first educators in history to have established schools for young criminals convicted in civil courts.
Today protectories for young delinquents go back in very great measure to De La Salle who had protectory work as one of his foremost priorities. Since there were few schools for the vast majority of the population in France, De La Salle did not only have to start schools mainly for the children of the working class, but he had to train teachers to write teacher training books, management manuals for conducting the schools, textbooks and prayer books for students, as well as spiritual books for the Brothers. De La Salle originally had no idea of beginning schools for Christian education for the working class. He was gradually drawn into the work; he made himself poor to be of service to them and relied on the Providence of God to supply the basic material needs of the Brothers and the schools. In the early hours of Good Friday, April 7, 1719 De La Salle died.
His last words to the Brothers were: "I adore the holy will of God in my regard_" a summary of the life of Faith he lived,_believing and trusting in the care of God as he went about his work of teaching poor children enthusiastically. On May 24, 1900 the Catholic church recognized the deep holiness of De La Salle when he was canonized. On May 15, 1950 the Church considered St. La Salle as a pioneer in education and made him the Church's official patron of all Teachers.
Other Brothers who did extraordinary things in ordinary ways are:
- St. Brother Benilde canonized on Oct. 29, 1967. During his lifetime, over 300 of his students became Brothers or Priests
- St. Bro. Mutien Marie (Belgium), canonized on Dec. 10,1989
- St. Bro. Miguel Febres Cordero (Ecuador) canonized on Oct. 24,1984
- Blessed Bro. Solomon LeClerq (France), martyred on Sept. 2 1792 and beatified on Oct. 17, 1926. *Blessed Bro. Arnold, beatified on November 1, 1987.
- Blessed Bro. Scubillion, beatified on May 2, 1989
- Blessed Bro. Jaime Hilario (Spain) martyred by firing squad on June 18, 1937 because he was a religious educator who "had poisoned the minds of children". He was beatified on April 29, 1990.