2014 International Lasallian Days for Peace
Posted on September 22, 2014 at 11:36:13 AM
The International Council of Young Lasallians (ICYL), in its commitment to empower its Lasallian ministries, pushes through with the 8th International Lasallian Days for Peace (ILDP) which will start on September 21, 2014.
the United Nations’ sanctioned International Day of Peace, until October 21. The theme Breaking the Cycle of Poverty to Build Peace is anchored to the outcomes of the 3rd International Symposium of Young Lasallians (ISYL) that centralizes on the drive to rid poverty as it impacts nutrition and survival.
Lasallians around the globe are enjoined to take part in this annual event through learning about and involving in issues relevant to “ fair trade, ethical retail practices, food consumption practices and hunger in communities.” This likewise is the Lasallian response to the call of Pope Francis to support Caritas Internationalis #Food4All Campaign and to reflectively look into the relatedness of the promotion of peace and the cycles of poverty.
In a letter, Superior General Brother Robert Schieler, FSC emphasized the role of the global Lasallian Family to be “more intentional about our concern and commitment to peace.”The International Council of Young Lasallians suggested these initiatives that could be done by Lasallians:
- Volunteer work experiences (locally or abroad);
- Personal challenges and commitments to living a simpler less consumerist life-style, to promote justice & peace;
- Assembly activities in schools;
- Prayer services;
- Workshops / Campaigns / Art Exhibitions;
- Peaceful marches;
- Sending of letters to local authorities calling for Peace in specific areas of conflict;
- Intercultural or Inter-religious activities.
- Support to the #Food4all campaign by reaching out to a local branch of Caritas
- Support to any Lasallian project focusing on this theme.